Who we are
The Southern African Faith Communities Environment Institute, SAFCEI, is a multi-faith environmental justice organisation. SAFCEI supports faith leaders and their communities in Southern Africa to raise awareness, gain skills and take action on eco-justice, sustainable living and climate justice.
It was launched in 2005 after a multi-faith environment conference which called for the establishment of a faith-based environment initiative. We work with people of all faiths and none, including a broad spectrum of individuals and communities from African Traditional Healers, Baha’i, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Quaker, and a wide range of Christian denominations.
We emphasise the spiritual and moral imperative to care for the Earth and the community of all life. We call for ethical leadership from all in power and speak out on issues of eco-justice, encouraging citizen action.
People of faith caring for the living Earth
As an Institute of many faiths, we are united in our diversity through our shared commitment to caring for living Earth.
What we do
Through collaboration, networking, training and learning, research and action, SAFCEI seeks with people of faith to:
- Raise environmental awareness;
- Promote environmental responsibility and action;
- Facilitate and support environmental advocacy;
- Confront injustices and advance eco- and socio-economic justice;
- Influence and formulate environmental policies and ethical guidelines.
We do this by
- Acting to replenish living Earth in a way that is balanced and informed by prayer, contemplation, and meditation.
- Working to build community among and between the Earth community and the Divine.
- Striving to empower and encourage people of faith to act and become agents of change.
MEET OUR STAFF
Office Manager / Bookkeeper
Francesca de Gasparis
FIONA DE BRUIN
Finance and HR Manager
Junior Programmes Administrative Assistant
Junior Social Media Engagement Assistant
Food and Climate Justice Manager
Junior Communications Coordinator
Donor compliance and reports
Cage-Free Campaign Coordinator
Tara van Ryneveld
Climate Policy Coordinator
Junior Administrative Assistant
SAFCEI staff members 2022.
SAFCEI Board members 2022.
Francesca de Gasparis – Executive Director (ex officio member)
Kirtanya Lutchminarayan (Hindu)
Sister Usha Jevan (Brahma Kumaris) Lucinda Rudolph (Christian)
Imam Salieg Isaacs (Muslim)
David Munene (Catholic)
Shaun Cozett (Anglican)
Dr. Braam Hanekom (Dutch Reform Church) Queen Munyai (Christian)
Bishop Geoff Davies