Who we are
SAFCEI (Southern African Faith Communities’ Environment Institute) is a multi-faith organisation committed to supporting faith leaders and their communities in Southern Africa to increase awareness, understanding and action on eco-justice, sustainable living and climate change.
It was launched in 2005 after a multi-faith environment conference which called for the establishment of a faith-based environment initiative. We have a broad spectrum of membership, including African Traditional Healers, Baha’i, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Quaker, and a wide range of Christian denominations.
We emphasise the spiritual and moral imperative to care for the Earth and the community of all life. We call for ethical leadership from all in power and speak out on issues of eco-justice, encouraging citizen action.
People of faith caring for the living Earth
As an Institute of many faiths, we are united in our diversity through our shared commitment to caring for living Earth.
What we do
Through collaboration, networking, training and learning, research and action, SAFCEI seeks with people of faith to:
- Raise environmental awareness;
- Promote environmental responsibility and action;
- Facilitate and support environmental advocacy;
- Confront injustices and advance eco- and socio-economic justice;
- Influence and formulate environmental policies and ethical guidelines.
We do this by
- Acting to replenish living Earth in a way that is balanced and informed by prayer, contemplation, and meditation.
- Working to build community among and between the Earth community and the Divine.
- Striving to empower and encourage people of faith to act and become agents of change.
MEET OUR STAFF
SAFCEI Board, Patron, staff members and facilitators (Board-Staff Retreat, Goedgedacht, June 2018)
Bishop Geoff Davies
Fiona Maskell (Anglican) Treasurer
Ds David Botha (Dutch Reformed)
Sister Usha Jevan (Brahma Kumaris)
Glynis Goyns (Presbyterian)
Frank Molteno (Anglican) Chair
Moulana Shuaib Appleby (Muslim)
Venerable Tsondru Sonam (Buddhist)
Francesca de Gasparis – Executive Director (ex officio member)