What you can do at home
We love this quote from Mother Teresa. Although we might say, ‘go home and love your family, your community, and your environment.’
As a community of Earthkeepers, we recognize the interconnectedness and interdependence of all things in nature.
And so, if changing the world starts at home, we’ve put together a list of ways you can green your life so you can live in greater harmony and more sustainably:
- Make every Monday a Green Monday in your house by skipping meat and dairy products for the day. Here are some recipe ideas to get you started.
- Make your own stone-ground bread instead of buying loaves wrapped in plastic. Here’s how to start.
- Cook using the sun by making a solar funnel cooker.
- Make your own hotbox for insulated cooking that saves energy.
- Take this quiz to find out how eco-friendly your garden is (and get tips to make it more so, if you need to).
- Start your own veggie garden using this guide. Make your own compost efficiently with a worm bin.
- Build an owl box and bring life to your garden.
- Plant herbs in your own vertical bottle garden. Here’s how to make one.
- Turn your used cardboard into fire bricks to save on braai or firewood. Here’s how to make them.
- Reuse your plastic bottles in several different ways before sending them to be recycled. Here are several ways to reuse them.
- Or rather, cut down on your plastic use altogether! Join the Bring Your Own Bag group on Facebook for plastic-stopping tips and community campaigns to beat plastic pollution.