People of faith working together to sustain God's world
What is an eco-congregation?
It is a local faith-based community that makes a commitment to live in greater harmony and more sustainably on the earth in response to the wisdom of sacred texts and faith traditions.
Why do we want to do this?
- Our faith calls us to care deeply for one another and for our only home, planet Earth, which we share with all other living beings.
- Our own wellbeing depends on the health and flourishing of Earthís life support systems. We must learn to be less wasteful and share more fairly.
These activities will strengthen our faith and deepen our appreciation and compassion for all of Godís world.
Whatís in it for us?
- You will receive the Eco-Congregation handbook which provides a guiding framework to help you undertake transforming practical actions in your congregation, homes and community.
- You will join a network of other concerned eco-congregations.
- You will receive resources and newsletters which share stories of eco-congregation challenges and successes.
- You will receive a certificate and in time, an award acknowledging sustained efforts and commitment to caring for the Earth.
What does it involve?
Becoming an Eco-Congregation is a response to our faith commitment. It weaves caring for the world and creation into all aspects of life and work in a congregation. It encourages three core areas of involvement:
- Concern for the Earth in learning about and expressing our faith: ECOLOGICAL SPIRITUALITY
As people of faith we can foreground gratitude and care for Godís world in all our celebrations and acts of workshop; in our teaching, preaching, praying and meditation and in group and private study.
- Stewardship of the Earthís bounty: CUSTODIANSHIP OF GODíS GIFTS
As people of faith, being called to care for the world and all that is in it, we turn our places of worship, community meeting spaces and homes into centres where we set an example of good earth-keeping practice. By living more thoughtfully, saving resources like water and energy and looking after what we have, we can turn good intentions into practical actions.
- Local and global community action: GODíS PEOPLE AT WORK IN THE WORLD
The future life on our planet is threatened by human activities. Eco-congregations can lead the way to a more sustainable future by getting involved in community projects and networks and lobbying and working for better environmental standards and practices.
SAFCEI is the Eco-Congregation implementing agency. Registration costs a minimum of R100. If your congregation cannot afford this, please explain the position in your registration. Other congregations might consider partnering and sponsoring a less well resourced congregation.
While not a requirement, you are also invited to become a member of SAFCEI (R100)
We want to put you in touch with other congregations with similar interests.
Please give details of specific interests or concerns in your congregation: e.g. eco-spirituality, sustainable agriculture, water, energy, indigenous gardens, conservation.
Download the Eco-Congregation registration form (PDF File, 533Kb)