Southern Aftical Faith Communities' Environment Institute (SAFCEI)
(Association incorporated under Section 21)
How to Become Involved
The Southern African Faith Communities' Environment Institute (SAFCEI) is an emerging movement of faith communities committed to cherishing living earth.
If any of the following environmental issues have become a matter of concern to you, SAFCEI would like to develop a relationship with you to learn how our diverse faith traditions can together become "the difference that makes a difference" in creating a life-affirming, healthy and happy society.
- Enriching the soils of the earth and caring for water resources and catchments.
- Stemming the extinction of rare plants and animals.
- Finding ways of reducing fossil fuel consumption, eliminating waste, and inventing clean energy supply systems.
- Creating 'green' buildings and infrastructure.
- Promoting sustainable livelihoods and income generation options for people most vulnerable to environmental shocks.
- Educating both children and adults to better understand the splendour of creation and what role they could play to ensure current and future generations can enjoy it as well.
SAFCEI caters for people to participate at various levels of involvement, ranging from "on the mailing list for digests and updates" to "fully committed for the long haul". Our short history has already shown what can be done by even a few people working with passion and commitment. By making connections and building partnerships between faith communities and environmental organisations, we are discovering that beneath the 'grassroots' there are many hidden 'taproots' that are ready to sprout and flourish with new growth.
If you, together with one or more people from your faith community, want to work with people of other faiths in a shared pilgrimage toward an economy that serves life, a community that builds peace and an environment that manifests Divine truth, here's what you can do.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to receive a regular digest of environmental issues that are important to faith communities.
- Pledge a regular sum of money to support our work, by debit order.
- Volunteer to join up with people of other faith communities in your area to respond to environmental challenge in your local community.
- Be trained in the process for helping faith communities to become 'eco-congregations'
- Be trained in how to make a report on abuses of the environment that you notice.
- Be trained as a cleaner and greener energy innovator for domestic usage.
Apply now for full membership of SAFCEI, and participate in the leadership process.
Click Here for the Membership Form (Adobe PDF file - 46KB)
Please complete and return the application form by Fax, Post or email to:
Fax: +27 (0)86 696 9666
Email: Via Contact Form
Post: SAFCEI, P O Box 106,
Kalk Bay, Cape, 7990