Nuclear Campaign Coordinator
One year part-time contract (renewable if further funding is secured)
SAFCEI invites applications to a one year part-time post of Nuclear Campaign Coordinator for appointment as soon as possible. The position forms part of SAFCEI’s programme team. The successful candidate will be based at the organisation’s head office in Westlake, Cape Town.
The main purpose of this job is to coordinate an effective campaign that asserts the nuclear build programme is inappropriate for South Africa’s energy future and pushes for the cheaper and cleaner alternative of renewable energy.
- To assist with planning mobilising events in support of strategic activities on the anti-nuclear campaign
- To empower communities to understand how the nuclear deal and build programme interlace with ordinary everyday struggles for survival
- To mobilise communities to participate in anti-nuclear/energy justice actions
- To liaise with youth outreach officers who are working on the campaign
- To assist with developing appropriate media to use in the campaign
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and in writing
- Ability to present SAFCEI’s message professionally in both written and oral formats
- High-level interpersonal skills, including the ability to inspire and motivate others
- 10 years of grassroots organising experience
- Ability to demonstrate networks within which embedded
- Understanding of the political and energy context of South Africa
- Availability to travel across the country
- Ability to plan, organise and facilitate community meetings, particularly with poor rural and urban constituencies
- Ability to work in partnership with other NGOs, in cross-cultural, language and political diversity
- Ability to generate written reports that analyse experiences at community level and feed into the strategy of public engagement with the nuclear issue
- Ability to engage with faith groups, particularly local faith leaders – and be comfortable with different faiths
- English and Afrikaans language speaker
- Knowledge of the nuclear procurement process
- IsiXhosa language
- Driver’s licence and own car
To apply, please send a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae (CV), and the names and contact details (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 26 November 2017
For information about SAFCEI, please see www.safcei.org
- A skills test may be administered as part of the selection process.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SAFCEI is committed to the pursuit of diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets
and building the best possible team